Hi sticky pals! I’m now more or less recovered from the very good time I had at ConnectiCon in Hartford, CT last weekend. The con is mostly focused on anime, cosplay, gaming, webcomics, and other crazy stuff, so there were a TON of people having a very good time, and often more than half the crowd was in costume. Some of my favorites were the steampunk outfits, zombies, and Silent Hill costumes, although almost everyone wearing anime ears was totally adorable. There were so many cool people there in general. Good vibes all around.
I was a webcomics guest at the event and had a table in the artists colony. I was giving out free sticky comics postcards, which I ran out of early on Saturday, and selling sticky comics merchandise. We launched two new items last week before the con: The Steampunk Mr. Peanut t-shirt and the new Brass Goggles Neckerchief, both of which are kinda steampunky things that we designed and screeenprinted ourselves. I sold a lot of merchandise and am almost out of Jellyfish tees and tote bags now. It was badass meeting so many other people who love jellyfish. (Not being stung by jellyfish, just their mysterious jelly ways.)
One of the best things about ConnectiCon is how much fun the webcomics people have there. I got to hang out (and drink beer in rather large quantities) with a lot of great webcomics people. Here is a list that took me many hours of sobriety to remember:
- Dern of Hello With Cheese, a webcomic that uses facial hair to astounding effect
- Steve at Dueling Analogs, master of gaming jokes and secret projects
- Ross of The System Comic and MC of Super Art Fight
- Pete of Bardsworth, purveyor of cookies and cookie accessories, who was my neighbor in the Artists Colony
- Onezumi who does Stupid And Insane Defenders Against Chaos and who is, with Harknell, organizing Intervention Con, the highly anticipated webcomics event and nerd party where I’ll be a guest in September
- Rob at Remedial Comics, who blows away my one pithy webcomic by having four of them
- Luke of Moon Freight 3, a really cool guy and native Connecticutter who really should own a Three Wolf Moon t-shirt
- Elena of Weregeek, whose very cool book I read this week, and will lovingly nickname “Everything You Wanted To Know About Role Playing Games But Were Terrified To Ask“
- Stefanie who has recently started a webcomic called Lost Nova and did this super cute sketch portrait of me
- Alex who finished a gorgeously colored fantasy comic called Garanos (and is not afraid to do the macarena either)
- Shane the mysterious Jelly Bean Sniper who also writes and draws The Space Between
- Aaron of Near and Far comic, which is interestingly written by people who live rather far from each other
- Christen and Kev of Caf-Fiends, a name that I can’t seem to type correctly because Caffeine is my friend, my very, very dear friend
- Dirk who does the impressively well-drawn Paradigm Shift
- Nick and Marty who do zombie comic Dead Of Summer and the comics cabaret that is Super Art Fight
- I also briefly met some other cool people … people who do the webcomic Least I Could Do who were numerous and funny, Matt who came to represent Cyanide & Happiness who I was sorta afraid of (but it’s not his fault), Garth who does a very well-drawn fantasy action comic called Finder’s Keepers. There are even more people I know I should mention here too but I can’t place … wow, that was a lot of people.
I spent most of my time during the con at the Sticky Comics table meeting people and selling swag, but I also got to break away for a few minutes to attend the webcomics charity action, where I auctioned off a few things and raised $90 for charity! Yay. I also got to see the first bout of the Super Art Fight, which totally rocked. If you ever get a chance to go to one, do it.
ConnectiCon staff is awesome. We had a particularly badass time with Nick and Andy. You guys are the best. And lastly, honorable mention for most interesting table visitor goes to The General of the Wandering Legion, a steampunk comedy video series. Holy brass goggles, Batman.
And check out my Facebook page for a few pics from the Sticky Comics table :)