home : “frequently” asked questions about sticky comics
What is this?
Sticky Comics is my (mostly) humorous bunch of random drawings, scrawlings, and comics. (If you Google “sticky comics”, you will find there’s an erotic comic series called “Sticky”, but unfortunately, that’s not my work.)
Who makes this site?
My name is Christiann MacAuley. I write and draw everything on this site. I have a pretty wide bunch of far flung interests and hobbies, from studying German and history to writing novels to technology to outdoorsy stuff and more. I live near Washington, DC and am an avid party animal when I’m not just alone being silly. Cartooning makes me laugh, which is one of my favorite things to do ever.
How do you make your comics?
Typically I draw on paper with a pencil, then ink with a pen, then scan the inked drawing. I often color the drawings in Photoshop, though sometimes they are instead colored by hand with colored pencil, watercolor, or marker. I’m a fan of choosing paper that is a little off color so I like drawing on unbleached hemp paper, colorful sticky notes, and especially Moleskin journals.
How often do you update?
I pretty much add comics when I can. Ideally this is 2-3 times a week. Sometimes I take a break. Subscribe to my RSS feed, sign up for email updates, be my friend on facebook, or follow me on twitter to get updates when I add new stuff.
How can I contact you?
Can we be electronic friends?
Can I buy stuff, like t-shirts, with your comics on them?
You sure can, and they are even screenprinted by hand by my twin sister and I for bonus indie cred. Check out our online store at TenEastRead.com for t-shirts, bags, hankies, stickers, and other fun stuff. You can also donate to sticky comics if you want to support my site but aren’t into buying things. I will even doodle you something and mail it to you if you donate more than $20. Here’s a donate button:
Do you attend comic conventions or other events? Which ones?
Yes! Here’s my schedule of past/upcoming appearances:
- Aug 21 – Nov 3, 2013, in person October 11 from 6-8pm and October 12 from 1-4pm: Artisphere DC Conspiracy Comics Making Studio, Arlington, VA
- Aug 26 – Sept 2, 2013: Burning Man, Camp “DC Not Washington”, Black Rock City, NV (Autobio comics workshop)
- May 11-25, 2013: ArtDC Gallery Small Work Show, Hyattsville, MD (5710 Baltimore Avenue, Hyattsville, MD)
- March 2010: Museum of Cartoon & Comic Art (MoCCA) Festival, New York, NY
- July 2010: ConnectiCon, Hartford, CT
- August 2010: Philadelphia Alternative Comic Con (PACC), Philadelphia, PA
- September 2010: Intervention, Rockville, MD
- October 2010: New York Comic Con, New York, NY
- November 2010: Art Carnage, Vienna, VA
- December 2010: Cartoon Cult (Art Opening), Vienna, VA
- April 8-9, 2011: Museum of Cartoon & Comic Art (MoCCA) Festival, New York, NY
- July 9-11, 2011: ConnectiCon (probably!), Hartford, CT
- September 18-19, 2011: Intervention, Rockville, MD
- November 5, 2011: Baby Canvasses (Art Opening), Vienna, VA
- April 21-22, 2012: S.P.A.C.E. (Small Press and Alternative Comics Expo), Columbus, OH
- April 28-29, 2012: Museum of Cartoon & Comic Art (MoCCA) Festival, New York, NY
- May 18 (opening) to June 23, 2012, Artomatic, Crystal City, VA
- July 13-15 2012: Connecticon, Hartford, CT
- September 15-16, 2012: SPX (Small Press Expo), Bethesda, MD
- September 21-23, 2012: Intervention, Rockville, MD
- April 6-7, 2013: Museum of Cartoon & Comic Art (MoCCA) Festival, New York, NY
Ten East Read appearances (fun times with me and my screenprinting collective)
- September 24, 2011: Art Carnage (Ten East Read appearance), Vienna, VA
- Oct 8, 2011: Ballston Art Market (Ten East Read appearance), Arlington, VA
Please contact me if you want to invite me to another event, I will happily consider it.
When are you going to publish a sticky comics book?
I’m not sure when I’m going to put out a collection of the work on this website, but I plan to do it eventually. I am currently (August 2012) working on a book proposal for a humor book, which will include some of the material on this website and a lot of new stuff. Please email me if you’re in publishing or just want to talk about books!
Can I hire you to create original cartoon art?
Yes, probably! Please contact me and let’s get started.
Can I have permission to use your comics?
Please contact me to obtain permission to use my work in your newspaper, magazine, presentation, newsletter, etc. (I have original print resolution versions of all the artwork on my site that can be provided.) You’re welcome to embed my comics in your website, but please provide credit and link back to my website at http://www.stickycomics.com.
Can I advertise on the sticky comics website?
Yes. You can buy ad space on my website directly through Project Wonderful, or if you had something special in mind, just get in touch.